Monday, May 5, 2008

Young@Heart

On Saturday night Steve, Liz & Jeremy agreed to be my guinea pigs for a recipe I'd been wanting to try for a while: Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs. I made them in the crock pot and they ended up being really tasty. They were tender and yummy and went really well with the Potato Buds I nuked in the microwave and the salad I made that was topped with almonds, avocado and strawberries. I didn't realize when I made the salads that my creation could have killed Jeremy who is apparently allergic to almonds. Go figure.

INGREDIENTS
• 5 pounds beef short ribs
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large Spanish onion, sliced
• 3 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
• 2 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
• 4 cups Swanson® Beef Broth (regular, Lower Sodium or Certified Organic)
• 1 cup dry red wine
• 2 cloves garlic

Basically, I broiled the short ribs in the oven until they had a nice crust on all sides (I had to rotate a couple times) then threw everything in the slow cooker on low for about 6 hours. Delish!



After dinner we walked downtown to the mall and saw the cutest movie called Young@Heart. Young@Heart is a chorus with members averaging around 80 years old. It was heartwarming and hilarious and sad (I cried no fewer than 5 times) and one of the better movies I've seen in ages. Definitely check it out if you have the opportunity.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Your menu sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it.

Amanda said...

Are these anything like P712's? Even if they are a long way off, I'm sure they're amazing ... those things are to die for!

Betsy said...

The Pizzeria 712 short rib was my inspiration. Mine weren't that good but they were yummmmm.

Lizzy said...

I can vouch for the deliciousness of this recipe! But wasn't there Italian parsley on it? I don't see that in the recipe. It must have been your creative addition and I thought it was the perfect touch!

Betsy said...

Oh yes! I added that myself. It needed something green.

Also, Steve and I can't stop laughing at the guinea pig picture. We're easily amused.