Friday, April 10, 2009

Baked Cornflake Chicken

I love living in San Francisco but it means I don't get to see my family all that often. Usually I deal with this fact just fine but sometimes I get sad. Take last Sunday for example...I called my parents house in Utah and to my surprise, Emma answered the phone! Turns out my sisters Jen & Suzy were both there enjoying a big family dinner of Cornflake Chicken! Hearing all the fun going on and the phone getting passed from person to person made me miss everyone terribly. I was also extremely jealous of the cornflake chicken dinner they were all about to consume without Steve and I.

Last night I found a recipe for cornflake chicken online and made it for dinner and it was SO delicious.

I stopped at the market on my way home from work and picked up two cups of organic cornflakes from the bulk bin knowing we'd never eat an entire box of cornflakes before they went stale. I was a bit nervous b/c the organic flakes were a little thicker than the traditional flakes you get in a Kellogg's box. In the end I think they made the chicken even better! I also put a wire rack on top of the cookie sheet I used for baking so the bottom of the chicken didn't get soggy (we used boneless/skinless breast tenders). The kicker was I dipped the chicken in Egg Beaters, not a whole egg AND I forgot to add the oil to the crushed flakes as the recipe states and it made no difference! I realized right before putting the chicken in the oven that I'd forgotten the oil so I used a little olive oil spray on each tender and it was perfection. This recipe is definitely going in the Santos dinner rotation effective immediately.

5 comments:

Lizzy said...

Sounds delicious. Can I have the recipe? I'll have to give you a similar recipe that I made recently for coconut cornflake chicken strips. They have a little curry powder and chili powder mixed in there with the crushed cornflakes. We dipped them in that spicy ketchup we make to eat. So yum!

Jen said...

The thing you didn't know about our cornflake chicken is that we serve it with the most amazing dipping sauce. Apricot Jam, Dijon Mustard and a bit of mayo (I think). I'll find the recipe and send it. It's to die for.

Suzy said...

Sooo yummy! Wish you could have been there...you will be in 3 weeks!

Betsy said...

Liz, let's make your coconut cornflake tenders at our place for dinner this week!

Jen, dipping sauce recipe por favor!

Robyn Kessler said...

this picture looks oddly like yours and Steve's iphone screens of you and Sadie. . . . and I do have an iphone now. . . DIBS!!!!